Your Student Loans
Fort Valley State University participates in several different loan options. Federal Direct Loans are administered through the Department of Education, Student Access Loans are administered through the State of Georgia and we have Private loans with multiple different lenders. Click on videos and links below for more information.
Federal Direct Loans
The SAL is offered by the Georgia Student Finance Authority (GSFA) for eligible Georgia residents attending an eligible institution. The SAL is a one (1) percent fixed rate loan, designed to assist undergraduate and technical college students who have a gap in meeting their educational costs. Learn more about this program at: https://www.gafutures.org/hope-state-aid-programs/loans/sal/.
In addition to the eligibility requirements from Georgia Student Finance Authority, Fort Valley State University has developed additional eligibility requirements. The following requirements are effective July 1, 2019, or for any Student Access Loan intended for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, or Summer 2020.
A student must:
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (undergraduate or graduate); and
- Be in satisfactory status for Satisfactory Academic Progress (cannot be on warning, probation or suspension status); and
- Not be in default on a federal student loan; and
- Not have reached the Pell Lifetime Eligibility of 600%; and
- Not have borrowed the aggregate Federal Loan Limits of $31,000 (dependent undergraduate), $57,500 (independent undergraduate) or $138,500 (graduate); and
- Not have been flagged by the Department of Education on the FAFSA with an Usual Enrollment History Flag, even if the flags were resolved to receive federal student aid; and
- Must be taking coursework required toward the completion of the official degree of record; and
- Student must complete FVSU Get Counseling Session titled Student Access Loan and submit certificate; and
- Student must have completed the FVSU Get Counseling Sessions titled Money Management and submit Certificate.
If a student is not meeting all of the above listed requirements, Fort Valley State University will not process a SAL for a student enrolled at the institution, unless the student has previously received a SAL loan at FVSU and has kept current with all Keep In Touch (KIT) payments required by GSFA since using the SAL loan (either at FVSU or other institutions).
Borrow wisely! It is our goal to assist students with smart borrowing. There are several tools a student can use to assisit with making the right decisions, knowing the right loans to borrow and how much your loans will cost when you complete your degree.