General Information


Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 temporarily expanded SNAP eligibility for college students (SNAP: Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program).  The attached flyer can help promote these benefits to your students.  For more information on student eligibility for SNAP, click on Federal Student Aid’s guidance here.

SNAP Benefits Flyer

Year Round Pell

What is Year Round Pell?

The Department of Education has announced that students that are eligible for Pell Grant may be able to receive a third disbursement of Pell Grant. Fort Valley State University will implement “ Year Round Pell Grant” beginning in the summer of 2019.

How do I become eligible?

The general rules are that students must be eligible for Pell Grant as determined by the Department of Education, and must be enrolled at least half-time for the summer semester. Half-time enrollment is six (6) credit hours for undergraduate students. Graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grant. View this short video for more information on Year Round Pell Grant.

Does this mean I get more Pell?

It is important to note that this change will not result in extra Pell Grant being awarded to a student over the course of their undergraduate enrollment. The maximum timeframe Pell LEU that eligible students may receive Pell Grant is for the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters or 600%. In the past, a full-time student could receive only two disbursements equaling 100% per academic year. Now the student will be able to receive up to three disbursements equaling 150% per academic year.

Why the change?

Many students use all of their annual federal loan eligibility in the fall and spring semesters, leaving no additional loan funds for the summer semester. If possible, students are encouraged to reserve some of their annual federal loan eligibility to use during the summer semester. Students that have been awarded Pell Grant for the 2017-2018 academic year are encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance with financial planning for the summer 2018 and for the 2018-2019 academic year.


Here is an example of how Year-Round Pell Grant will work for the 2017-2018 academic year. A student with a zero EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is eligible for $5,920 in Pell Grant for the year (100%), or $2,960 (50%) for the fall semester and $2,960 (50%) for spring semester (based on full-time (12 credit hours) enrollment both semesters). Under the old rules, that student would not receive any Pell Grant if they enrolled for the summer semester. Under the new Year-Round Pell Grant initiative, the student would receive an additional $2,960 (50%) disbursement if they were to enroll full-time for summer. If the student enrolled half-time, the student would receive $1,480 (25%) of Pell Grant for summer or one-half of the full disbursement.


Students can use financial aid with remaining funds. Click here for more information.


Scholarships are “free money” generally awarded based on merit or need and are not paid back. Additionally, any scholarship that you receive may reduce or replace the self-help (loan or work-study) portion of your aid package. You must notify the Office of Financial Aid of any scholarships you receive that are not already listed on your financial aid award offer.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work Study is a federally subsidized employment program awarded by the Office of Financial Aid. This award is based upon financial need. Work-study funds are not credited to your account. A bi-weekly paycheck is received based on hours worked.<


Low-interest student and parent loans are borrowed money that must be repaid. Loans are a large part of many students’ aid package. Borrow only what you need. Always remember that you will pay back what you borrow. Fort Valley State University participates in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program to offer Stafford loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). A limited amount of funds is available through the Perkins Loan Program for students with exceptional need. Additional information is located under the Loan Applications Link.

Cost of Attendance

The budget components are ESTIMATED averages and may not reflect your actual expenses. They are used solely for calculating financial aid eligibility. The tuition and fees component is based on 15 credit hours and average costs in the fall and spring semesters. The room and board component for residents varies depending upon housing location and meal plan.


Eligibility for federal student aid is based on financial need and on several other factors. The Office of Financial Aid will determine your eligibility.

To receive aid from our programs, you must

  • Demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans).
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, meet other standards your state establishes that the Department approves, or complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law.
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (unless you’re from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  • Register with the Selective Service if required. You can use the paper or electronic FAFSASM to register, you can register at, or you can call 1-847-688-6888. (TTY users can call 1-847-688-2567.)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school.
  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended (HEA) suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). If you have a conviction(s) for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or go to the FAFSA on the Web site, click on “Before Beginning A FAFSA” in the left column, then click on “Drug Worksheet” to find out how this law applies to you.

Even if you are ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA because you may be eligible for nonfederal aid from states and private institutions. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid administrator immediately. If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.

If you have a question about your citizenship status, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Transient Student Steps

Students that plan on enrolling in courses at another institution other than Fort Valley State University must follow the steps below to ensure that their financial aid funds will be available for the term they wish to be a transient student. A student wishing to attend another institution other than FVSU must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in order to be considered for transient status:

  1. Complete – Transient Permission Form – FVSU Registrar’s Office
  2. Apply for Admission at Host Institution
  3. Complete the financial aid process at FVSU. (For Summer financial, aid you must also complete the online Summer Financial Aid application.)
  4. Register for courses at Host Institution
  5. Pay all fees due at Host Institution
  6. HOPE eligible students will pay any balance due that the HOPE scholarship did not pay
  7. Request a Consortium Agreement to be faxed to the Host Institution (A Consortium Agreement is a form that we send to the Host Institution for verification of hours enrolled at Host Institution). DO NOT submit the form until you have registered for courses at your Host Institution
  8. Contact the FVSU Office of Financial Aid at (478) 825-6363 one week after you have registered for your course(s) to be sure the Host Institution responded to FVSU Office of Financial Aid request
  9. Check with FVSU Office of Financial Aid after one week to be sure Host Institution responded to FVSU Office of Financial Aid
  10. The payment of FVSU financial aid will be disbursed to the student upon the completion of the courses.
  11. Provide the proof of payment toward courses from the host institution with proof of completed course work.


Pell recipients must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate semester hours. Your Pell Grant award in BANNER is calculated at full-time enrollment (12 hrs). Your Pell Grant will be prorated according to the hours of enrollment. Student’s that are awarded loan funds must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate semester hours. Students must pay any fees that they incur at the Host Institution by the fee payment deadline for the Host Institution. FVSU will not send your financial aid to your Host Institution to pay your tuition and fees.

HOPE Transient:

This form is for FVSU students wishing to be transient to another University System of Georgia institution. If you are a transient student to FVSU, please contact your home institution and request a HOPE transient certificate be sent to FVSU.

Due to HOPE Scholarship regulations, all GPA’s must be reviewed at the end of the semester that you attempt 30, 60 or 90 hours, and also at the end of each spring. If requesting for summer HOPE transient status, once spring grades are posted and you meet the 3.0 or higher GPA requirement, we will forward the HOPE Transient Certificate to the “host” institution indicating that you are HOPE eligible. Because the fees at the “host” institution may be due before grades are available, you may need to plan to pay your fees up front and be reimbursed by the “host” institution. At the end of the semester, you will need to make arrangements with the “host” institution to have your transcript(s) sent back to the FVSU Office of the Registrar.

If you fail to meet the GPA requirement of a 3.0 at one of the checkpoints, you can regain the HOPE Scholarship at the next checkpoint (30, 60 or 90 hours attempted hours) as long as your GPA is 3.0 or higher. For a complete review of the HOPE Scholarship Regulations, visit the Georgia Student Finance Commission’s web site

If you have not already done so, contact the FVSU Office of the Registrar at (478) 825-6282, and request the Transient Permission Form. This form is required by the FVSU Office of the Registrar and is necessary to make sure your classes attempted at your “host” institution will be transferred and/or accepted back to FVSU.