Honors Program Events
Welcome to the Honors Program Events page. Here you’ll find information about upcoming program events, including the regular Honors Book Discussion.
Remember, all Honors Students need to attend at least four (4) extracurricular intellectual campus events per regular academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). And every Honors Students must participate in at least one (1) Honors Book Discussion (though you are welcome to join as many discussions as you like each year).
Copies of the readings for Honors Book Discussions will be available to borrow from the Director’s Office in Honors House by the start of each semester.
- Fall 2023 Honors Book Discussion
- Date & Time: Tuesday, October 10, 3:30-4:30pm
- Location: Room 117 (auditorium), Bond Building
- Discussion Leader: Dr. Mark A. Smith, Honors Program Director
- Book: Carol Anderson, The Second: Race and Guns in a Fatally Unequal America
- Fall 2023 Honors Speakers' Program
- Date & Time: Wednesday, October 25, 3:00-4:30pm
- Location: Pettigrew Ballroom
- Discussion Leader: Dr. Chester J. Fontenot Jr., Director of Mercer University's Africana Studies Program
- Topic: Why We Should Study African American History
- Spring 2023 Honors Book Discussion
- Date & Time: Wednesday, March 6, 1:00-2:00pm
- Location: TBD
- Discussion Leader: Dr. Elizabeth Hamilton, Assistant Professor
- Book: Tricia Hersey, Rest is Resistance: A Manifesto